This pizza crust is truly delicious. I think it’s better than any wheat or spelt dough I’ve made. The steps are a little different than a gluten crust, but just keep going and it’ll be awesome.
I have served this pizza to several people now and everyone liked it and would never have known it was gluten-free. I would consider this a must try. In the photo slideshow I doubled the recipe and that is why there are two pizzas.
Here is the original recipe list I started from. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the fancy flours. I’ve made this several times with what ever gluten-free flours I had. I am not good at adding fractions, but basically you need just over 2 cups of flours. I have used gluten-free all purpose, biscuit mix, tapioca, chick pea, and rice flour. Just make a nice mix of whatever gluten free flours you have. You will need xanthum gum though, so don’t skip that.
For pizza crust
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup sorghum flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast, from 1 (1/4-ounce) package
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Add all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
2. Heat milk and water on the stove just until it’s a little above body temperature. Then remove from heat and add yeast and sugar. Let stand for 5-10 minutes until you can see the yeast is awake.
3. Whisk up the egg whites and oil and then add to the milk mixture.
4. Then combine the wet and the dry ingredients together. Use electric beaters, but don’t over mix.
5. Line you pizza pan with parchment paper and the put the dough in the centre. Cover with plastic wrap. Preheat oven to 400F.
6. Once the dough has doubled spread it out with your hands using the plastic wrap. This is the really weird part. Just keep smoothing out the plastic wrap until it covers the pan. Then peel off the plastic wrap and put in the oven for about 10 minutes.
7. Remove the crust from the oven and flip it over. Top with sauce and topping and continue to bake until it’s done.